Saturday, September 19, 2009

Teacher as Learner: My Teaching Philosophy

My philosophy of education has evolved over the years to this current snapshot featuring
•    Learner centered education
•    Teacher as learner
•    Active learning
•    Diverse learning styles and multiple intelligences
•    Lifelong learning
I am a learner-centered educator. Like Carl Rogers I don’t believe that you can make anyone learn anything. The desire to learn comes from within the individual. The teacher’s role is to be the facilitator in the learning process, setting up experiences and activities that will engage the learner and lead the learner to discover information that is relevant for him or her. The teacher is a learner as well, making the education endeavor a synergistic experience. In a standards based environment it is important to set up opportunities for learners to explore on their own through research projects or other authentic learning experiences.
Learning is an active process, one where the learner is engaged and involved in critical thinking. My presentations involve my learners through their questions and comments. As much class time as possible is devoted to students talking about the material in small groups or pairs discussing case studies, brainstorming ideas to solve problems, and using the higher levels of Bloom’s Taxonomy of thinking skills to create solutions to real world situations.
Learners are diverse in their learning styles and multiple intelligences. Each learner has their own profile of learning strengths and learning styles that combined are their own unique way of experiencing the world and learning new things. I believe in recognizing these intelligences and learning styles and using them to the learner’s advantage. I have learners participate in assessing their own learning styles and intelligences so they can capitalize on them and be an active partner in the learning exchange.
Learning is dynamic. It is important that I, along with my learners, develop skills for lifelong learning. Technology and the read/write world of the Internet take center stage in this process in the 21st century. I’m true to my philosophy of teacher as learner when I take technology courses such as EDU 255 so I can stay relevant and effective in my chosen vocation. Who knows what the next snapshot of my teaching philosophy will look like as I keep evolving in my practice?

1 comment:

  1. I agree with your philosophy and like how you acknowledge the learners experience of the world is related to the way they learn. We often forget the need to partnership with our students.

    ReplyDelete